A MAGNIFICENT SIDE CABINET ATTRIBUTED TO WRIGHT & MANSFIELD - REF No. 4057
H: 90 1/2 in / 230 cm ; W: 66 1/4 in / 168 cm ; D: 17 1/4 / 44 cm
An outstanding late19th century satinwood, mahogany and marquetry inlaid side cabinet attributed to Wright and Mansfield, the raised mirrored back with swan neck pediment, bevelled plates and glazed display compartments, the base with glazed cupboard sections above arched brackets and platform undertier, on square tapering legs and spade feet,
This item is in two sections for transport purposes.
Wright & Mansfield
Great Portland Street and Oxford Street, London; cabinet makers and upholsterers (fl. 1861-1884)
Alfred Thomas Wright’s origins and training are unknown. From 1856 he was a junior partner to Samuel Hanson, cabinet maker and ‘antiquarian upholsterer’ of 16 John Street (later Great Portland Street) and 106½ Oxford Street. In 1858, George Needham Mansfield, son of George Mansfield, builder and decorator of Gray’s Inn Lane and Wigmore Street, joined the firm which then traded as Hanson, Wright and Mansfield until Hanson’s death in 1861. Thereafter the firm traded as Wright and Mansfield. They exhibited at the London International Exhibition of 1862 – where they won a first-class medal – and the accompanying catalogue by J. B. Waring included a full colour lithograph of an Erard piano in the ‘Adams’ style, together with a number of black and white illustrations of other furniture.
At the 1867 Paris Exhibition, Wright and Mansfield won the only gold medal for art furniture awarded to a British firm, and their satinwood cabinet with porcelain plaques, designed by Mr Crosse and made for the Exhibition, was sold to the South Kensington Museum (V & A: 548:5-1868). The firm’s listing in the 1871 Post Office Directory recorded addresses at 104 New Bond Street, 3 Great Portland Street & 6 Ridinghouse Street, London.