A FINE IRISH REGENCY SIDE CABINET BY WILLIAMS & GIBTON - REF No. 4038
H: 35 1/2 in / 90 cm ; W: 31 in / 79 cm ; D: 12 3/4 in / 33 cm
A very fine Irish Regency period brass inlaid side cabinet by "Williams & Gibton" of small proportions, with green marble top over a plain frieze and a glazed door, stamped with No. 2278, the canted corners with fluted decoration, and with two large carved front paw feet.
The firm of Mack, Williams and Gibton were established at 39 Stafford Street, Dublin and were appointed Upholsterer's & Cabinet Makers to his Majesty, His Excellency the Lord Lieutenant and His Majesty's Board of Works. After the death of John Mack in 1829, the firm continued to trade as Williams and Gibton (1830-1844). They supplied some of the most important public buildings in Ireland, including the Four Courts, the War Office, the Barracks Office, Dublin Castle, the Chapel Royal and the Treasury and Viceregal Lodge. They were also commissioned to produce furniture for many prominent Irish houses such as Ballynegall, Co. Westmeath, Oakley Park, Co. Meath and Strokestown Co. Roscommon.