Purveyors of Fine Quality Antiques In Ireland
  • A MOST IMPRESSIVE 19TH CENTURY COLLECTORS CABINET STAMPED C. MELLIER & CO. - REF No.4013
  • A MOST IMPRESSIVE 19TH CENTURY COLLECTORS CABINET STAMPED C. MELLIER & CO. - REF No.4013
  • A MOST IMPRESSIVE 19TH CENTURY COLLECTORS CABINET STAMPED C. MELLIER & CO. - REF No.4013

A MOST IMPRESSIVE 19TH CENTURY COLLECTORS CABINET STAMPED C. MELLIER & CO. - REF No.4013

Price available upon request. Register your interest now.
Pin It

Product Details

H: 71 in / 181 cm ; W: 46 1/4 in / 117.5 cm ; D: 15 in / 38 cm

A superb quality plum mahogany and ormolu mounted breakfront collectors / side cabinet. The pierced brass gallery top, above two panelled doors having gilt bronze beaded frames which opens to disclose a shelved fitted interior, flanked by superb ormolu mounts to the sides, below a single frieze drawer and a pair of panelled doors again with gilt bronze beaded frames enclosing an adjustable shelve, flanked by graduating drawers, raised on plinth base. All locks stamped "Chubbs Patent" 128 Queen Victoria Street, London.

Circa 1880

English

Artists Biography:

C. Mellier & Co. was one of the most highly distinguished and renowned cabinet making firms which flourished during the late 19th century in Britain. Charles Mellier is recorded as beginning his career in the award winning Anglo French firm of Georges-Alphonse Monbro, eventually taking over the company himself in 1868, and thereby establishing the new name, C. Payne, 19th Century European Furniture, Woodbridge, 1981, pp.'s 42-3.

Mellier, who often worked in conjunction with famous contemporary interior designers, furnished numerous prestigious addresses such as 14, 27 and 45 Grosvenor Square in London, and Farmleigh House and Estate in Dublin. The Mellier & Co. workshops are historically documented at both 60 Margaret Street and a Cavendish Square address. The enterprise continually expanded and went on to become, by the turn of the century, perhaps the foremost English furniture manufacturer to exhibit at the St Louis International Exposition (or World Fair) in 1904.

View More