A FREESTANDING BOOKCASE STAMPED WILLIAMS & GIBTON OF DUBLIN - REF No. 4026
H: 81 in / 206 cm ; W: 51 in / 130 cm ; D: 21.5 in / 55 cm
A very fine Irish William IV mahogany freestanding double waterfall bookcase, stamped "Williams & Gibton. The upper section with three graduated shelves to either side between shaped studded supports, the lower section with a pair frieze drawers above a pair of faux panel doors with set with pleated fabric panels, the opposing side with faux drawers and similar panels, either end with further similar panel doors, resting on carved paw feet with concealed castors.
The firm of Mack, Williams and Gibton were established at 39 Stafford Street, Dublin and were appointed Upholsterer's & Cabinet Makers to his Majesty, His Excellency the Lord Lieutenant and His Majesty's Board of Works. After the death of John Mack in 1829, the firm continued to trade as Williams and Gibton (1830-1844). They supplied some of the most important public buildings in Ireland, including the Four Courts, the War Office, the Barracks Office, Dublin Castle, the Chapel Royal and the Treasury and Viceregal Lodge. They were also commissioned to produce furniture for many prominent Irish houses such as Ballynegall, Co. Westmeath, Oakley Park, Co. Meath and Strokestown Co. Roscommon.