PAIR OF IRISH REGENCY ARMCHAIRS BY MACK WILLIAMS & GIBTON - REF No. 8025
H: 33 3/4 in / 86 cm ; W: 21 1/2 in / 54 cm ; D: 21 1/2 in / 54 cm
A superb pair of Irish Regency mahogany armchairs attributed to Mack, Williams and Gibton, the arched reeded crest rails above open frames with lattice-work back rails, each with arm supports terminating in carved paw feet, the seats upholstered in red hide and raised on ring turned and spiral fluted splayed legs.
The firm of Mack, Williams and Gibton were established at 39 Stafford Street, Dublin and were appointed Upholsterer's & Cabinet Makers to his Majesty, His Excellency the Lord Lieutenant and His Majesty's Board of Works. After the death of John Mack in 1829, the firm continued to trade as Williams and Gibton (1830-1844). They supplied some of the most important public buildings in Ireland, including the Four Courts, the War Office, the Barracks Office, Dublin Castle, the Chapel Royal and the Treasury and Viceregal Lodge. They were also commissioned to produce furniture for many prominent Irish houses such as Ballynegall, Co. Westmeath, Oakley Park, Co. Meath and Strokestown Co. Roscommon.