A SUPERB REGENCY ROSEWOOD SIDE TABLE - REF No. 9057
H: 27 1/2 in / 69.8 cm ; W: 21 3/4 in / 55.7 cm ; D: 16 in / 40.6 cm
A very fine Regency rosewood and crossbanded, ebony and brass inlaid and mounted side table in the manner of John McClean. Applied with gilt bronze mounts, the rectangular top inlaid with an ebony band with stylised leaf brass marquetry, above a frieze drawer with a simulated opposing drawer flanked by anthemion mounts, the curved end supports joined by a scrolling cross stretcher, on platform bases with lotus scroll feet and castors.
The firm of McLean and son was established in London around 1770, trading from premises in Little Newport Street, Leicester Square, until 1783. By 1790 the firm had moved to 55 Upper Marylebone Street, later expanding to occupy premises in both Pancras Street and Upper Terrace and continuing in business until 1825. John McLean and son were cabinet-makers of the highest calibre, patronised by such leading connoisseurs as the 5th Earl of Jersey, for whom they worked extensively at Middleton Park, Oxfordshire, and the Earl's London mansion in Berkeley Square. In Thomas Sheraton's, The Cabinet Dictionary of 1803, McLean and sons are listed among the foremost English cabinet-makers of the period, and it is some indication of the esteem in which they were held that Sheraton himself made use of one of their designs for a 'pouch table', which he illustrated in the Dictionary, (pl.65), remarking that, 'The design... was taken from one executed by Mr M'Lean in Mary-le-bone street, near Tottenham court road, who finishes small articles in the neatest manner'.