A SUPERB REGENCY MAHOGANY PEDESTAL SIDEBOARD ATTRIBUTED TO WILLIAMS & GIBTON - REF No. 5005
H: 51 in / 130 cm ; W: 86 in / 218 cm ; D: 26 1/2 in / 67 cm
A very fine Irish Regency mahogany sideboard in the Grecian manor. The rectangular top with a deep carved gadrooned edge and classical carved splash back above two frieze drawers resting on a pair of pedestals, one enclosing a cellarette drawer. Wonderful colour and patination.
The firm of Mack, Williams and Gibton were established at 39 Stafford Street, Dublin and were appointed Upholsterer's & Cabinet Makers to his Majesty, His Excellency the Lord Lieutenant and His Majesty's Board of Works. After the death of John Mack in 1829, the firm continued to trade as Williams and Gibton (1830-1844). They supplied some of the most important public buildings in Ireland, including the Four Courts, the War Office, the Barracks Office, Dublin Castle, the Chapel Royal and the Treasury and Viceregal Lodge. They were also commissioned to produce furniture for many prominent Irish houses such as Ballynegall, Co. Westmeath, Oakley Park, Co. Meath and Strokestown Co. Roscommon.