AN EXQUISITE 19TH CENTURY COROMANDLE CANTEEN SERVICE BY WALKER AND HALL - REF No.1004
H: 12 1/4 in / 31 cm ; W: 21 1/2 in / 55 cm ; D: 16 3/4 in / 42.5 cm
Of rectangular form fitted with recessed brass side handles, and twin panel doors enclosing a fitted interior with four shallow drawers retaining a Hanoverian rat-tail service comprising: 18 dessert forks, 4 knife rests, 18 table forks, 22 teaspoons, 2 egg spoons, a sugar spoon and butter knife, 18 dessert spoons, 3 salt spoons, 3 pickle forks, bone handle table knives and carving set, a soup ladle, 2 serving spoons, 2 fish carvers, 12 tablespoons, sugar nips and sauce ladles.
Footnote:The business was established in Sheffield in 1845 by George Walker. Becoming an assistant of Dr. John Wright who had conducted important experiments on electroplating Walker secured the royalty of electroplating for Sheffield. The business was joined by Henry Hall and became in 1853 Walker & Hall. The factory was at Howard Street, Sheffield, while showrooms were opened in 45 Holborn Viaduct, London. Branches were opened in Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Cardiff, Belfast, Hull, Bristol, Melbourne and Adelaide (Australia), Cape Town (South Africa). Walker & Hall was converted into a limited liability company in 1920 under the style Walker & Hall Ltd and combined in 1963 under the British Silverware Ltd with Mappin & Webb and Elkington & Co. Walker and Hall Sheffield were primarily Sheffield Makers, but items with Birmingham, London and Chester Assay Marks can also be found.