Purveyors of Fine Quality Antiques In Ireland
  • A SUPERB 19TH CENTURY DRAWING ROOM CABINET ATTRIBUTED TO COLLINSON AND LOCK - REF No. 4004

A SUPERB 19TH CENTURY DRAWING ROOM CABINET ATTRIBUTED TO COLLINSON AND LOCK - REF No. 4004

Price available upon request. Register your interest now.
Pin It

Product Details

H: 90 1/4 in / 229 cm ; W: 59 3/4 in / 152 cm ; D: 17 in / 43 cm

A very fine 19th century rosewood, marquetry and ivory inlay drawing room cabinet, the superstructure with a moulded broken arch scroll pediment above a pair of marquetry and ivory paneled doors over a central bevelled mirror; the middle section again with two marquetry and ivory inlaid panelled doors, flanked by astragal glazed doors over an open undertier raised on fluted square columns, on plinth base.

Circa 1880

English

Artist Biography:

The firm Collinson & Lock was founded in the late 19th century by F.G. Collinson and G.J. Lock, both of whom were former employees of Jackson & Graham.

The company manufactured furniture for the likes of the Savoy Theatre and the new Law Courts, and a variety of their furniture items were featured at the Paris Exposition Universelle exhibit in 1878. Some of the many furniture designers who were employed by the firm include E. W. Godwin (who was paid a retainer to produce designs for the company from 1872 and 1874), T.E. Colcutt, Stephen Webb, H.W. Batley, and many more.

Webb designed for the firm between 1885 and 1897 and exhibited at the Arts and Crafts Society Exhibitions  from 1888 to 1906. He was also a member of the Art Workers Guild. Webb is now best remembered for his designs of intarsia, which he normally executed in ivory. Much of the furniture which was decorated with Webb`s inlaid work was designed by the firms founding partner J. S. Lock.

View More